Tuesday 17 May 2016

1980's Art Deco revival

Last weekend my parents bought my a little treat from a car boot sale - they know how much of a retro fetish I have. Bless them - they bought me this framed print of Jean Yarwood's "Jay Walk" for the grand sum of 50p:


 Jean Yarwood's "Jay Walk, in a red frame, bought at car boot sale for 50p

They bought it, also, because a series of Yarwood's pictures used to adorn the walls of the spare room in my family home, back in the late 80's/early 90's, and they knew how much I would enjoy owning one again. I was particularly delighted by this purchase, as I had recently bought a similar picture in pink (not Yarwood, however) when out on a day trip, possibly in Lincoln. And the similarities between the two prints brought me to write this article, where I will focus on the 80's revival of Art Deco.


80's Art Deco lady in pink picture, bought at charity shop for £1

Through the use of pictures, in this short article I will show just a few of the likenesses I have come to find in the major style factors of both the 1930's and the 1980's, and how they both focussed quite heavily on the use of Art Deco. Two of the major indicators of current trends in design, for me at least, are art and architecture. See here the artwork of two artists at the forefront of the 80's deco movement, Patrick Nagel and Clive Eagar:


A Patrick Nagel artwork


A print by Clive Eagar, courtesy of www.posterperfection.com


And for comparison, a period Vogue cover by Spanish born artist Eduardo Garcia Benito (1891 - 1981)

Comparisons made between architecture of the time also creates cause for discussion regarding the two "Deco" periods, the front cover of Steven's Brooke's "Miami Beach Deco" highlighting the use of Art Deco architecture in the 1980's, here shown in comparison with the Chrysler Building, New York, built in 1928.


Miami archicteture, as shown on the front cover of "Miami Beach Deco", by Steven Brooke


The Chrysler Building, New York, courtesy of blirk.net

And the similarities do not stop there; they are in every walk of life imaginable, from the china we drink from, to the doors we walk through, the notices we read, and the clothing and jewellery we wear..


Left: a 1930's "Bignou" pattern cup from the Clarice Cliff Bizarre range; Right: 80's inspired earrings as featured in Glamour magazine


Left: genuine 20's/30's Art Deco interior doors; Right: a Botany 500 jumper from the 1980's


Left: Original Art Deco advert for Louis Vitton luggage; Right: 1980's/90's Razzia perfume advert


Left: An Art Deco bronze cougar sculpture by Milo; Right: 80's style earrings by www.fridalasvegas.com

From the bright clean lines and colours, triangles in abundance, to the use of shapely silhouettes and figures, often of animals and glamorous hat-wearing beauties, to the essentials of an era - art and architecture - these photographs show a fantastic comparison of decades, 50 years apart. I hope that the 80's have as much of a showing in 2030. And I hope my parents discover more Jean Yarwood prints at car boot sales for half a quid.


An 80's interior, taking the 1980's spin on 20's/30's Art Deco to a new level, courtesy of Tumblr deargenekelly

All photographs belong to their respective owners with the exception of those of my own house and rooms/items therein. I make no claim to own pictures used for illustrative purposes. Please contact me should there be any issue with pictures used/credits attributed to pictures used.

No comments:

Post a Comment