Sunday 8 May 2016

Welcome to my blog

Recently I bought a little house with my partner, in Sheffield, Yorkshire, England - where I was born nearly 30 years ago.

It filled me with such joy to have a place of my own to decorate how ever I wanted (my gentleman is very understanding!). My parents, or my more specifically, my mother, was/is obsessed with fashion decor, and their house could be back-dated almost to the year by the paint effects they had used on the walls (rag rolling - remember that?), "Fresh Fruit" matching accessories in the kitchen, to the opening of Ikea in nearby Nottingham.

I always wondered why anything had to be "on trend" and why such invisible rules were put in place. After all, it is a new millennium we live in, and a free, extremely expressive and vocal country. Why couldn't we just have what we wanted in our houses? And what business was it of anyone else's? So long as I wasn't running a brothel behind closed doors. And even if I was, rest assured I would keep the noise down after 10pm.

My recently acquired decorating freedom came mostly at the same time as a new job in the city's antiques quarter, and so now my mind is awash with the beauty of everyday artefacts of old on a daily basis, and I am lucky enough to be continually exposed to hundreds and thousands of tasty vintage morsels, once treasured and adored by their owners, from fine art to biscuit tins. I am so taken with so many of these items, it will come as no surprise that my love of retro, eclectic decor is less of a style and more of a inevitable development.

I love beautiful things. They aren't all expensive. In fact, most of them aren't. They aren't all old. Some simply look old at a fraction of the price. But they are all beautiful. And even more beautiful when they are together. Good items simply fall together. Here is my journey of decorating my new house in this style. Join me, please. And I intend to make it as interesting as possible along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment